Subscribe To Pennsylvania Equality Project
What we are fighting for in 2016
1. Passage of the Pennsylvania Fairness Act to end discrimination against the LGBT community in Pennsylvania.
2. An end to conversion or "ex-gay" therapy and its use on all minors in Pennsylvania.
3. Passage of House Bill 304 which would mandate health insurance companies to provide the needed care for our transgender brothers and sisters.
4. Passage of House Bill 99 and 101 which would strengthen anti-bullying laws in Pennsylvania to help protect LGBT youth and provide school officials the tools they need to combat bullying
5. An end to LGBT youth homelessness through promotion of LGBT safe houses and scholarship opportunities for homeless LGBT youth.
6. Election of LGBT-friendly candidates to the Pennsylvania General Assembly, the Senate, and the U.S. Congress.
7. Protection of LGBT older adults.
8. A voice for all LGBT people who are otherwise disenfranchised.
9. A call to reduce suicide by LGBT people in Pennsylvania.
Do you run an LGBT-friendly company? Would you like free advertising on our page? We are offering free weblinks from our website to yours on the only Pennsylvania statewide resource of its kind. Looking for a LGBT-friendly company for your next event? If you are planning to get married, need a florist or wedding venue, turn to us for help. Check out our website first.
The Pennsylvania legislature has several pending bills which could dramatically improve the lives of the LGBTQ community. However, our legislators in Harrisburg are very slow to pass the bills and send them to the Governor. Click on the button below to see just some of the pending bills, and to click on the button to find your legislator. Call, email, or write to your legislators and tell them to pass these bills.
The people of Pennsylvania must be treated equally in terms of, but not limited to, employment, education, and housing regardless of real or perceived sexual or gender identity. The lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community should not be relegated to second class citizenry solely because of who we love or how we portray ourselves. All Pennsylvanians are worthy of equal treatment under the law.
Transgender Health Benefits
Why is this important?
End Conversion Therapy
Conversion therapy has been debunked as junk science by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association. There's no scientific evidence that it works. But, more important, there's a host of evidence that it hurts those who suffer through it, leading to depression and even suicide in some cases.
As a gay man and as the founder and president of the Pennsylvania Equality Project, formerly called Marriage Equality for Pennsylvania, I've met a number of gays and lesbians who have experienced the pain of so-called conversion therapy, and I've seen the results firsthand.
Pass Hate Crimes Legislation
Pass Pennsylvania House Bill 177 and Pennsylvania Senate Bill 42 or similar future legislation to protect the LGBT community by adding sexual orientation and gender identity to protected classes for hate crime law.
Current Pennsylvania hate crime laws exist for a victim’s real or perceived race, color, religion and national origin. There is no legitimate reason to exclude the LGBT community from this list. Support legislation to expand protection based on ancestry, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender and gender identity.